Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Husband's New Best Friend

I've been working on my priorities over the last year and a half since I quit my job, which required a substantial change in my spending habits. My small group spent the entire year of '08 studying a book called "Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth" by Richard Foster. The month of February was spent on Simplifying, which was incredibly timely since I had quit my job the month before. I was the next-thing-will-make-me-happy kind of gal; everything from new clothes, the diamond ring for our tenth anniversary, new furniture, decorating the house, ad nauseum. Vacations were spent anticipating the next day's plans. To put it simply, a lack of contentment.

I've felt life change in my spirituality. My discontent is shifting. I mentioned it to my husband recently in passing. The conversation went something like this:
Me: Do you remember when I used to want that big diamond ring and kitchen table and new clothes, addiction to shoes, purses, watches (yada yada yada)?
Him: Oh, yeah.
Me: Well, I just don't feel that as much anymore. Jesus is filling that hole now (with a chuckle).
Him: Well, then Jesus is my new best friend.

1 comment: